Forums » News and Announcements

Sony Responds To 'Fortnite' Account Controversy

• 11 posts
    August 6, 2018 5:39 PM HKT

Sony has responded to growing backlash over the lack of cross-play between the PlayStation 4 along with the Nintendo Switch versions of Epic Games' popular online battle royale name"Fortnite traps"

"We are always open to hearing what the PlayStation community is interested in to improve their gambling experience," the company said in a statement to the BBC. "With... more than 80 million active users on PlayStation Network, we have assembled a huge community of gamers who can perform on'Fortnite' and all online titles. In addition, we offer'Fortnite' cross-play support with PC, Mac, iOS, and Android apparatus, expanding the chance for'Fortnite' fans on PS4 to play even more gamers on other platforms"

"We've got nothing further to add beyond this at this stage," a spokeswoman added.Nintendo announced and simultaneously released"Fortnite" about the Switch Tuesday during its E3 2018 Direct movie demonstration. The game has been downloaded over two million times in its first 24 hours to the hybrid console. Players need to create an Epic Games accounts to perform with, or sign in using an existing one. However,"Fortnite" fans who attempted utilizing accounts created via PS4 quickly found those balances will not work on Change.

"This'Fortnite' accounts is associated with a stage that does not allow it to function on Switch," the game stated. "Neither the'Fortnite' site nor Epic Customer Support are able to change this. To perform'Fortnite' on Change, please create a new account."

Many enthusiasts are understandably upset. The lack of cross-play signifies any purchases they've made on PS4 won't take over to the Change. Any progression they've made in the sport, like completing challenges, won't transfer also. "I was a tester on PC whos (sic) completed every time and spent hundreds of dollars on the game but nope no twist play for me personally because I played on a PS4," stated one individual on Reddit.

"We have got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base," PlayStation international sales and marketing head Jim Ryan said at the time. ```Minecraft' -- the demographic playing this, you understand as well as I do, it is all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the men and women who go online with us, we look after them and they're within the PlayStation curated world class. Figuring out what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to control or look after, Facebook is something we must think about very carefully."

There are signs the backlash could be impacting Sony financially. Shares were down 2 percent on Thursday, according to CNBC.