Forums » Introduce Yourself

Big Blue appears to be honing in on pass rushers

• 679 posts
    June 4, 2019 1:59 PM HKT

"Mock drafts are still overwhelmingly giving Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins to the New York Giants at No. 6 Youth Julian Love Jersey , with Haskins being the choice in 80 percent of the most recent mocks listed in the SB Nation database. The winds, though, are blowing in another direction — toward the guys who terrorize the quarterbacks.ESPN’s Dianna Russini said Friday that the Giants are not interested in Haskins with the No. 6 overall pick.Russini said she was “pretty confident” the Giants will take a defensive player at No. 6.Pat Leonard of the Daily News wrote that “no matter how experts rank these QBs, there is near-universal agreement that the best player available at the Giants’ first pick will not be a quarterback.”With that in mind, Leonard wrote that the Giants selecting a quarterback at No. 6 “doesn’t add up.”I agree.A veteran scout told me the other day that I “better start boning up on d-lineman at No. 6.” Another told me it’s “still early, but pass rusher looks like the pick.”Since becoming Giants GM, Dave Gettleman has often said that you have to trust your evaluations and take the best player.“You cannot reach,” Gettleman said at the Combine. “I will say it until the cows come home, you can’t reach.”Gettleman proved he practices what he preaches when he took Saquon Barkley at No. 2 a year ago, despite the overwhelming belief that in the scouting community that a) he should have taken a quarterback in a class rich at that position and b) the positional value of a running back made taking one at No. 2 ill-advised.The strength of this year’s class is on the defensive line.“We all know that,” Cleveland Browns GM John Dorsey said at the Combine.Gettleman is certainly among those who is aware. Here is what Gettleman said when asked about the draft’s pass rushers at the Combine:“This is a really strong draft for hogs on both sides of the ball. It’s obviously a very important need. You guys sat and watched us and saw our inability to close out games. We had three games the second half of the year we make stops we finish the season 7-1. A stop.”That need didn’t change just because the Giants signed edge defender Markus Golden. He is on a one-ear contract and had just 2.5 sacks a season ago. Golden is fired up to play for defensive coordinator James Bettcher and believes he is “on my way to getting back to where I was” when he had 12.5 sacks for Bettcher’s Arizona defense in 2017.Still, the Giants need more.If they want pass rush at No. 6, it will certainly be there. If both Haskins and Kyler Murray come off the board before the Giants pick, some combination of Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen, Devin White, Rashan Gary Womens Julian Love Jersey , Ed Oliver and Montez Sweat will be available. Even if only one QB is taken, some players from that group will be there.A second group of pass rusher, perhaps slightly less likely to go top 6 but still considered quality prospects, includes Brian Burns, Jeffrey Simmons and Clelin Ferrell.See all of our prospect profilesQuarterback at 17?Maybe.As I wrote on Friday I do not believe Giants decision-makers are unanimous in their support of any single quarterback in this draft class.That will make things interesting if Haskins somehow falls to 17 (unlikely), or if Missouri’s Drew Lock is there, which seems more plausible. Maybe even if Duke’s Daniel Jones is on the board.There is also, of course, the Josh Rosen factor to consider. Also the possibility that the guy the Giants really want is in the 2020 draft class.Other possibilities at 17?Doubling up on pass rush seems unlikely, but this is Gettleman and the unthinkable always seems thinkable. Offensive tackle, especially if they are unable to secure Mike Remmers or another veteran right tackle. Wide receiver could be in play. Defensive back seems less likely, but again this is the unpredictable Gettleman with the card in his hand.Anyway, that’s the direction this draft seems to be heading. Of course, with six weeks to go anything can happen. Safety is making his homecoming to New Jersey"WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections New York Giants NewsGiants Training Camp 2016Giants vs. Eagles 2015, Week 17New York Giants NewsAn excited Jabrill Peppers will give the Giants his bestNew,68commentsSafety is making his homecoming to New JerseyEDTShareTweetShareShareAn excited Jabrill Peppers will give the Giants his bestRaj Mehta-USA TODAY SportsOn the eve of the 2019 NFL Free agency period New York Giants GM Dave Gettleman executed a trade that could change the course of the Giants’ franchise for the next decade — and certainly changed how the 2019 season will play out. That trade, of course Authentic Julian Love Jersey , was sending Odell Beckham Jr. to the Cleveland Browns. Lost in the scrum over whether the move was right or wrong is that the Giants acquired third-year safety Jabrill Peppers, a former first-round pick out of Michigan. Peppers was the player added to the trade to push it over the edge and a player the Giants hope can fill the void left when they allowed Landon Collins to leave via free agency.But for Peppers, right now, it just means coming home to his native New Jersey and play for the team he grew up rooting for.“I was excited,” Peppers said, when asked his reaction to finding out about the trade. “(I) get a chance to play football and do it in front of the home state. It was definitely an exhilarating feeling.”“I’m just excited to play football again,” Peppers added. “Excited to go to the Giants and be one of the best players I can be. I hold myself to a high level and I intend to play at that level.”That attitude was the first thing he mentioned in his scouting report of himself for fans. “They’re getting a hard worker,” Peppers said. “A guy that’s going to do whatever it takes to win. Me personally, I feel as though I haven’t even showed a third of what I can really do. On learning the Giants’ defenseNow that Peppers is a Giant, he will have to learn James’ Bettcher’s defense. It is a defense that places a lot of stress on the safety positions, because of it’s reliance on the safeties to apply pressure through blitzing, rotate coverage to disguise pressure, and hold up in aggressive Cover 1 schemes. There is a premium placed on communication as well as being in the right place in the right time.Peppers said, “I’m anxious just to get there and have a fresh beginning, and immerse myself in the culture and tradition, learn the schemes and be the best player I can be.”And when it comes to learning that scheme, he will have a great resource in the form of veteran safety Antoine Bethea Julian Love Jersey Boys , who was with Bettcher when he was defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals. “I’ve talked to him [Bethea] briefly,” Peppers said. “He’s a hell of a player and I have fine knowledge of him. He’s a veteran guy who’s made a lot of plays on the ball, made a lot of tackles, he’s played in the system before, so I’m eager to pick his brain and play alongside of him and roam that secondary back there.”On the pressure placed on PeppersIt could be fairly assumed that the way in which Peppers came to be on the Giants — as a part of the Beckham trade, and a replacement for Landon Collins — there would tremendous pressure on the young man.Dave Gettleman, however, doesn’t believe that there is any added pressure on Peppers to perform, saying, “He doesn’t feel that pressure, he is thrilled to be coming home. He is very close to his mom, he is going to live in Bergen County, I think. I don’t think he feels that pressure. He is just excited to be a Giant. It’s the team he grew up cheering for, this kid’s coming home. I don’t think he feels that pressure, and we certainly aren’t going to put that pressure on him. There is no reason for there to be that kind of pressure on him. He is coming here to be a safety, play football and help the New York Giants win games. It’s that simple.”Gettleman added, “I’m not putting them [expectations] on him. He was an important piece of the trade. I didn’t trade Odell straight up for Jabrill Peppers. Jabrill was an important piece to that trade. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Infant Julian Love Jersey , I believe in his ability. We watched film, we evaluated and we did him coming out.”As for Peppers himself, all he can say is that he will give the Giants, and Giants’ fans, his best. He said, “Again, I’m just going there to be the best football player I can be. I hold myself to a high level and I attend to play at that level. That’s about as best as I can give to you.”However this trade plays out, what consequences — intended and unintended — ripple out from the splashiest move of the year so far, there is at least one clear winner in the trade: Pepper’s family.“They’re excited, they’re excited,” Peppers said. “It’s a much easier commute than Cleveland, Ohio. So, that works out.”